Superman: The New Adventures or just Superman is a cancelled PlayStation game that was scheduled to be released in June 2000, one year after the Nintendo version of Superman: The New Adventures (also known as Superman 64) was released in May of 1999 due to complaints that fans expressed about the glitches and unfinished graphics that were in the Nintendo version of the game.
Plot and goal
Lex Luthor has kidnapped Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen. In the game, the player gets to play as Superman and go through a puzzle like maze (unlike Superman 64 where the player made Superman fly through rings), while going through the maze, the player could use various ways of defense against Lex's robots (eg. X-ray vision, flight, heat vision, freezing breath, super strength and speed among various other ways of defense and rescue), destroy Lex’s security cameras and containers of Kryptonite as well as go through metal doors in order to reach Lois and Jimmy and eventually defeat Lex. The player could also make Superman lift up various heavy objects (e.g. dumpsters, cars, etc.) and rescue other people in dire peril.
Why It Was Cancelled
- The PlayStation version of Superman: The New Adventures was cancelled when the Superman license that Titus had expired just shortly before release, and Titus was unable to renew the license.
- The game was also cancelled when BlueSky Software lost rights as well and had the Superman license cancelled to avoid issues with copyright.
- The PlayStation version of Superman: The New Adventures was permanently cancelled.
- In 2002, Infogrames released a game titled Superman: Shadow of Apokolips with the entire cast of Superman: The Animated Series reprising their roles respectively.
- Even though the PlayStation version of The New Adventures was cancelled, demo clips from The New Adventures surfaced on YouTube in the early to mid 2010s.
- The PlayStation version of the game had graphics that were about 95% complete unlike Superman 64 which had unfinished graphics.
- Superman at PlayStation Museum
- Lost Media Wiki article on the cancelled Superman game